The Richland Cemetery Association was founded in 1851 as a non-profit cemetery that is governed by a seven member Board of Directors. It took it's name from the township where it resides, Richland Township, which was founded eighteen years earlier in 1833.
Richland Township began as a farming community near the town of Johnstown where the local farmers often referred to the quality of the land there as "Rich Land". Some of that former farm land that was owned by the Luther and Weaver families has become a major part of our cemetery. Originally known as the Weaver Mennonite Cemetery, with burials as early as 1829, our facility has now grown to 80 acres with over 17,700 burials.
The board of directors appoints a cemetery manager to supervise the care of the facility. The maintenance, beautification, and permanence of the grounds, is guaranteed by a perpetual care fund, which is managed by the seven member board of directors. With 191 years behind us, we have the space to grow for at least another century!
The oldest portion of our cemetery, the former Weaver Mennonite Cemetery.