Richland Cemetery                                          Johnstown, Pennsylvania

History

     The Richland Cemetery Association was founded in 1851 as a non-profit cemetery that is governed by a Board of  Directors.  It took it's name from the township where it resides, Richland Township, which was founded eighteen years earlier in 1833.   Richland Township began as a farming community near the town of Johnstown where the local farmers referred to "the quality of the land there in" as "Rich Land".  Some of that former farm land has become a part of our cemetery.  Originally known as the Weaver Mennonite Cemetery, with burials as early as 1829, our facility has now grown to 80+ acres with over 17,000 burials.  The board of directors appoints a cemetery manager to supervise the care of the facility.   The maintenance, beautification, and permanence of the grounds,  is guaranteed by a perpetual care fund,  which is managed by the seven member board of directors.   With 188 years behind us, we have the space to grow for at least another century!

     The Richland Cemetery is maintained by a full time professional maintenance staff, thus the grounds have year round care.  Some of the flowers that are displayed throughout the cemetery are grown within our own greenhouse by the professional growers on our maintenance staff.  Numerous flower beds are planted for the enjoyment of all the visitors who visit our cemetery.  Each year the staff continues to expand the beautification process.  We strive to keep our cemetery one of the best looking and well maintained cemeteries in the area.

     Cross:  The 38 foot high concrete cross was erected in 2001 and is constructed of 50 cubic yards of reinforced concrete, and has become one of the focal points of the cemetery.   It is lighted from dusk to dawn.

     Memorial Program:  Onr way to remember a loved one is to memorialize a tree, a marble or granite bench, etc.  Contact the cemetery office for details and the various options that may be considered.


                                                          A view of the "parklet" area in Section F

Website Builder